Sunday, June 10, 2007

Linux Mint 3.0 Cassandra

Linux Mint 3.0 is out. I downloaded the Ubuntu based distro and tried it in Virtualbox. I just used the same virtual machine as I have installed Ubuntu Feisty on, and just booted it from the CD ISO.

The distro looked great and supports lots of media files right out of the box. The LiveCD I tried was based on Gnome, but did only have one panel on the bottom part of the screen.

The virtual machine I used has just a 5GB virtual hard drive allocated. I have already installed Feisty on it, which filled about 2.5GB and I have allocated 512MB to swap (a bit much). A bit more than 2GB was free. Using the Mint installer, I made a new partition of the free space in the "Feisty partition", so I got an approximately 2.3GB partition that Mint could use for root. I set the installer to use the same swap-partition as Feisty does.

The installation went quick and without any problems.

When I rebooted, GRUB now had the Mint and Ubuntu Feisty boot options. I tried Mint. Then, when I wanted to log in, I got the error message: "GDM could not write your authorization file." etc. I have gotten this message one before (I don't remember when) when my root partition was full.

I decided to delete OpenOffice and then try to log in. I rebooted and started Mint in safe mode. At the command line (Ctrl+Alt+F1), as root, I typed:

apt-get remove --purge openoffice.org-*

This removed about 230MB of files. After it had finished, I typed "reboot", and started Mint the normal way.

2 comments:

Rhys said...

After you deleted OpenOffice.org, have you tried any 'lighter' word processors? I'd like something a bit quicker than OOo myself but I can't seem to find one that supports ODF (which most of my documents are saved as). Abiword was a bit of a let-down in that respect.

Nice work ;)
Rhys

adder1972 said...

Hi Rhys,

Thanks for your comment.

No, I haven't used other word processors. I mainly concentrate on trying out and tweeking distros, so I don't use word processors very much. I have OO on a Ubunutu-box at home, just in case I need to make a dokument.